Hawzah News Agency - All 11 accused were present with their lawyers at the opening hearing in Riyadh, the capital, according to a statement on Thursday by Attorney General Saud al-Mujeb carried by the official Saudi Press Agency.
It added that the prosecution demanded death sentences for five suspects, adding that the interrogation of the suspects continues.
The statement said that the Saudi Arabian authorities sent two requests to Turkey asking for evidence related to the murder, but without response.
Turkish officials have previously said they shared evidence with Saudi Arabia and other nations over Khashoggi's killing, and repeatedly called for the suspects to be extradited to Turkey, where the crime was committed.
The bill of indictment against the accused was read out at the procedural session. The defendants who are in custody asked for time to examine the charges leveled against them, according to the statement. No date has been set for the next hearing.