Tuesday, August 21, 2018
News Code : 351911 | Publish Date :2018/5/8 - 15:57 | Category: FORUM

Norwegian aid group slams deadly Saudi airstrike on Sana'a
"The Norwegian Refugee Council is appalled by Saudi-led coalition strikes on a highly-populated business district in Sana'a earlier today. We abhor the ongoing use of violence to intimidate civilian populations under the guise of efforts to protect them. Yemeni people are not collateral. Adherence to the laws of war is not optional," said the aid group in a statement released on Monday.

Hawzah News Agency (Sana'a, Yemen) - An international aid group has condemned Saudi Arabia's latest airstrikes on Yemen which it said targeted regions close to homes of its staff in the capital city. 

“The Norwegian Refugee Council is appalled by Saudi-led coalition strikes on a highly-populated business district in Sana’a earlier today. We abhor the ongoing use of violence to intimidate civilian populations under the guise of efforts to protect them. Yemeni people are not collateral. Adherence to the laws of war is not optional," said the aid group in a statement released on Monday. 

 



The Yemeni Ministry of Health also slammed the deadly airstrikes which were carried out on the presidential palace in Sana'a. 

The ministry further called on the international community to slam Saudi Arabia's deadly attacks and put pressure on kingdom to halt its war crimes against its impoverished neighbor. 

 



Earlier in the day, at least half a dozen civilians were been killed and dozens more wounded after two airstrikes carried out by warplanes of a Saudi-led military coalition hit the office of the presidency in the Yemeni capital of Sana’a. 

Yemen’s Arabic-language al-Masirah television network, citing its correspondent in the scene, reported that Saudi fighter jets launched at least two airstrikes against the building, situated in the packed district of Tahrir, killing at least six civilians, including a child, and wounded 86 others, including school children. 

 



Yemen's Arabic-language al-Masirah television network, citing its correspondent in the scene, reported on Monday that Saudi fighter jets launched at least two airstrikes against the building, situated in the packed district of Tahrir, killing at least six civilians, including a child, and wounded 86 others, including school children. 

In one of the deadliest air raids against Yemeni people, Saudi warplanes last month hit a wedding ceremony in Hajjah several times, killing almost 50 people and wounding 55 more. Saudi jets also carried out raids on ambulances transporting the casualties to local hospitals. 

 



Saudi Arabia and its allies launched the war on Yemen in March 2015 in support of Yemen’s former Riyadh-friendly government and against the Houthi Ansarullah movement, which plays a significant role in supporting the Yemeni army against the Saudi-led campaign, which has killed and injured over 600,000 civilians, according to the Yemeni Ministry of Human Rights. 

Ansarullah has also been running state affairs in the absence of an effective administration in the war-torn country. 

 



The Saudi-led offensive has, however, achieved neither of its goals despite the spending of billions of petrodollars and the enlisting of Saudi Arabia's regional and Western allies. The United States and Britain, in particular, are accused of being complicit in the aggression as they supply the Riyadh regime with advanced weapons and military equipment. 

 

Send Comment
Name :
Email:
Comment:
Send
View Comments